Neighbor and Advocate
My name is Tommy Hough (pronounced "how").
I'm a seasoned, results-driven executive and communicator with extensive political, broadcast and conservation experience with non-profit and environmental organizations, and I have a lengthy record of developing and executing successful strategic plans, managing teams and campaigns, expanding media footprints, and building organizations from the ground-up.
I'm eager to leverage my capabilities in the service of preserving old-growth forest ecosystems, coastal wetland habitats, endangered species, public lands, access to the outdoors and healthy, biodiverse watersheds. In short – to help save the natural world we're rapidly losing.
- As a San Diego County planning commissioner I've demonstrated a strong adherence to my conservation values.
- As the founding president of San Diego County Democrats for Environmental Action I grew the organization into one of the largest and most influential bodies in our local Democratic Party.
- Working with the NPCA our team leveraged political access and sound conservation science to prevent the drainage of an ancient aquifer beneath Mojave Trails National Monument.
- As part of the Save Trestles effort I collaborated with the Surfrider Foundation and utilized my radio show to help prevent the construction of a six-lane freeway through the last intact watershed south of Los Angeles.
- At Oregon Wild I helped popularize the journey of lone wolf OR-7 and his species' reclamation of habitat west of the Cascade range – where it turned out OR-7 wasn't so lone a wolf after all.
- As a community activist and environmental advocate I've stood up for the sanctity of city nature preserves and the permanence of National Monuments.
I treasure collaborative work with teams, allied partners and organizations. I lead, organize, communicate – and when necessary fight for the preservation of our natural world and conservation legacy.
Working with ReWild Mission Bay as the campaign's lead consultant and coordinator, I continue to champion restorative opportunities for one of the region's great ecological assets, and reconnect those spaces to residents and Indigenous communities. As part of my work with ReWild, I've organized and executed efforts with volunteer and staff assets to make the campaign one of the primary environmental issues in San Diego. With my work for the Environmental Center of San Diego, I'm researching the impact of sea level rise on area watersheds with primary funding from the San Diego Foundation.
As a veteran of two hard-fought political campaigns for a major city office, I managed all facets of my efforts, including communications, strategy, staff, and participated in numerous high-pressure public forums and debates often under intense media and public scrutiny. I've worked with, walked for, and consulted a select few campaigns I believe in, and will continue to do so.
I'm an exceptional communicator and vision-driven leader with strong media, interpersonal and spokepserson ability. I bring a wealth of experience in fundraising, building relationships and working with stakeholders, board members, staff, volunteers and coalition partners. I'm determined to better our environment and communities, and I'm committed to creating and promoting a diverse, inclusive and equitable work environment.
If your organization is seeking a dynamic, hands-on, results-driven leader who inspires and goes beyond what's expected to ensure successful growth and awareness with conservation efforts and in environmental non-profit spaces, let's connect.